Natural resources abound, and the people are friendly.
Africa is one of the world's seven continents. It has a tremendously diversified culture and some of the world's most beautiful countries, making it the top tourist attraction on the planet. We've compiled a list of some of the most fascinating facts about Africa.
- With 54 countries, it is the world's second largest continent after Asia in terms of both size and population. Africa covers 30.37 million km2 and is expected to have a population of around 1.37 billion people by 2021.
- Nigeria, one of Africa's countries, has the continent's largest population (154.7 million people). This is equivalent to 18% of Africa's entire population.
- Africa is home to the world's largest river, the Nile, as well as the world's largest desert, the Sahara. The Nile River flows for 4,150 kilometres before reaching the sea. It runs across various African countries, including Ethiopia, Sudan, Uganda, and Egypt, resulting in exceptionally rich terrain.
- With more than 200 pyramids, Sudan has more than Egypt. This figure is higher than Egypt's.
- Though it may come as a surprise, Arabic is the most frequently spoken language in Africa. Then comes English. Then there are other languages.
- Africa is the world's hottest continent, with the world's hottest desert, the Sahara Desert, at 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
- With a population of 98,462 people, Seychelles is Africa's least inhabited country.